Arts Month Overview
October is Arts Month
Our local Arts Month initiative coincides with National Arts & Humanities Month, which was established in 1993 and is observed every October throughout the United States. This national program was initiated to encourage Americans to explore new facets of the arts and humanities in their lives, and to begin a lifelong habit of participation. Over the years, it has become the nation’s largest collective annual celebration of the arts.
October 2014 was the first time that Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak region joined in this national effort. Under the leadership of the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region, our local Arts Month takes the form of a coordinated awareness, advocacy, and community engagement campaign. Working in close collaboration with individual artists, arts organizations, and community partners from across our region, existing cultural offerings are amplified with special Arts Month programming to create an October calendar that’s rich with amazing local art to see, hear, taste and experience! Check-out all the Arts Month 2022 programming Highlights, and be sure to read the Cultural Office Guide to Arts Month!
Throughout Arts Month, paid and earned advertising in print, radio, television, billboards, digital & social media, etc. will all be leveraged to raise the visibility of the area’s creative sector, showcase local artistic talent, and highlight the many arts & cultural experiences that are taking place across the Pikes Peak region during the month of October. Visit the Media Coverage page.
Although our local Arts Month celebration is embraced with equal energy and excitement during all thirty-one days of October, for planning and promotional purposes, the month is divided into four discipline-specific Theme Weeks:
- WEEK 1: Visual & Culinary Arts (October 2-8)
- WEEK 2: Theater & Film (October 9-15)
- WEEK 3: Poetry, Prose & Comedy (October 16-22)
- WEEK 4: Music & Dance (October 23-29)
Targeted marketing, a diverse offering of local events and activities, and special Arts Month programming curated by the Cultural Office and our partners, are all aligned around these four Theme Weeks to help generate and sustain robust community engagement throughout the entire month. Regardless of what Theme Week it is, remember that the call to action during Arts Month is to “have one new cultural experience with family or friends this October!”
Get Involved in Arts Month this October
One of the best things about Arts Month, is that everyone is welcome to participate! You can start by visiting a few key pages on this website:
- Pull down the HIGHLIGHTS tab (above) for featured Arts Month programming throughout the month of October.
- Explore the full calendar of EVENTS taking place during Arts Month 2022.
- Check out the Arts Month 2022 GIVEAWAYS for your chance to win some cool stuff.
- Get into the spirit of things this October by purchasing some fun Arts Month MERCH.
- Leverage the TOOLKIT as a resource to help share Arts Month 2022 with your friends and family.
- Use #ArtsOctober to share your Arts Month experience on social media–your posts may get featured on our Homepage during October!
- Learn more about the local artists and creatives featured on this website by visiting the ARTIST-A-DAY ARCHIVES and the FACES OF THE CAMPAIGN.
- See our plan for receiving formal Arts Month PROCLAMATIONS from the City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County.
- Read about Arts Month 2022 in the local MEDIA.
- Read the CULTURAL OFFICE GUIDE TO ARTS MONTH.
- Please CONTACT US if you have any questions about Arts Month 2022, or navigating this website.
Thank you, and Enjoy!
Experience Colorado Springs in a whole new way!
Creative Stays is a digital campaign to attract cultural tourists to the Colorado Springs area during Arts Month, and throughout the year. The series will eventually feature 13 weekend getaway itineraries curated by a diverse group of local creatives. Each of these local creatives will share a little about themselves, and recommend some of their favorite lodging accommodations, community attractions, restaurants, entertainment activities, hidden hangouts, and not-to-miss cultural destinations. This video features Morgan Calderini and Arley Torsone from Ladyfingers Letterpress. Check out all the Creative Stays itineraries at cosCreativeStays.com.
For local Artists
and Arts Organizations
If you’re producing a new or existing art event or activity that takes place during the month of October, then you can be a part of Arts Month 2022! However, your event or activity must open to the general public (whether free or ticketed), and must be in alignment with our INCLUSIVENESS STATEMENT.
Please download this document to learn more about the Arts Month 2022 Highlights Partner program.
To participate in Arts Month, you’ll also have to list your October event or activity on www.PeakRadar.com. Once listed there, it will automatically display on this website’s EVENTS page. Getting your October events and activities listed is free and easy, and you’ll be helping to make Arts Month 2022 even bigger and better! If you need assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email info@CulturalOffice.org if you have any questions about Arts Month 2022, or how to get more involved.