Arts Month Overview
October is Arts Month
Our local Arts Month initiative coincides with National Arts & Humanities Month, which was established in 1993 and is observed every October throughout the United States. This national program was initiated to encourage Americans to explore new facets of the arts and humanities in their lives, and to begin a lifelong habit of participation. Over the years, it has become the nation’s largest collective annual celebration of the arts.
October 2014 was the first time that Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak region joined in this national effort. Under the leadership of the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region, our local Arts Month takes the form of a coordinated awareness, advocacy, and community engagement campaign. Working in close collaboration with individual artists, arts organizations, and community partners from across our region, existing cultural offerings are amplified with special Arts Month programming to create an October calendar that’s rich with amazing local art to see, hear, taste and experience! This year, we’re planning an exciting new Arts Month “launch event” in collaboration with the First Friday Arts Walk on 10/1, as well as a special “release event” for our region’s new 10-year cultural plan, Arts Vision 2030, on the morning of 10/28–stay tuned for more details!
During Arts Month, paid and earned advertising in print, radio, television, billboards, digital media, etc. are all leveraged to raise the visibility of the area’s creative sector, showcase local artistic talent, and highlight the many arts & cultural experiences that are taking place across the Pikes Peak region during the month of October–even during a pandemic! Visit the Media Coverage page.
Although our local Arts Month celebration is embraced with equal energy and excitement during all thirty-one days of October, for planning and promotional purposes, the month is divided into four discipline-specific theme weeks:
- WEEK 1: Visual & Culinary Arts (October 3-9)
- WEEK 2: Theater & Film (October 10-16)
- WEEK 3: Poetry, Prose & Comedy (October 17-23)
- WEEK 4: Music & Dance (October 24-30)
Targeted marketing, a diverse offering of local events and activities, and special Arts Month programming curated by the Cultural Office and our partners, are all aligned around these four theme weeks to help sustain enthusiasm, and to generate robust community engagement throughout the entire month. Regardless of what theme week it is, remember that the call to action during Arts Month is to “have at least one new cultural experience [virtual or in-person] with family or friends this October!”
One of the best things about Arts Month, is that everyone is welcome to participate! You can start by visiting a few key pages on this website:
- Pull down the HIGHLIGHTS tab (above) for featured Arts Month programming throughout the month of October.
- Explore the full calendar of EVENTS taking place during Arts Month 2021.
- Check out the Arts Month GIVEAWAYS for your chance to win some fun stuff!
- Get into the spirit of things this October by purchasing some fun Arts Month MERCH.
- Leverage the TOOLKIT as a resource to help share Arts Month 2021 with your friends and family.
- Use #ArtsOctober to share your Arts Month experiences on social media–your posts may get featured on this page!
- Learn more about the local artists and creatives featured on this website by visiting the ARTIST-A-DAY ARCHIVES and the FACES OF THE CAMPAIGN.
- Review the official PROCLAMATIONS from across the Pikes Peak region declaring this October as Arts Month.
- Read about Arts Month 2021 in the local MEDIA.
- Please CONTACT US if you have any questions or suggestions related to Arts Month 2021, or this website.
Thank you, and Enjoy!
For local Artists
and Arts Organizations
If you’re producing a new or existing art event or activity that takes place during the month of October, then you can be a part of Arts Month 2021! Your event/activity must open to the general public (whether free or ticketed), and must be in alignment with our INCLUSIVENESS STATEMENT.
To participate in Arts Month, you’ll also have to list your event or activity on www.PeakRadar.com. Once listed there, it will automatically display on this website’s EVENTS page. Getting your October events and activities listed is free and easy, and you’ll be helping to make Arts Month 2021 even bigger and better! If you need assistance, please email email@example.com.
Please email info@CulturalOffice.org if you have any questions about Arts Month 2021, or how to get more involved.